Status Reports: Jan 18, 2010
Posted by Dwight Deugo on 2010/01/20
- Attended the Code Sprint
- Spent a lot of time looking through the code, getting an idea for the framework.
- Reported several bugs for the Java Lite perspective.
- Tested the patch for Bug 244645 (making a new class in an empty workspace). I agree with it and also posted a new bug (299342) with a patch that does the equivalent for making a new package. However, after the code sprint, we decided that packages should be done away with overall (that is, hidden).
- Submitting a bug for hiding the concept of packages from the student, and working on it.
- Not much work done before code sprint – mainly attempting to setup environment, and emailed out some first impressions of the current state of the program.
- Code sprint:
– Attempted to apply as many patches as possible, and test how they work.
– Used both scheme and java lite for some basic coding – attempted to use a "1st year / 1st time coding" perspective while using the eclipse plugins.
– Also looked into some competing plugins – namely pneumbra and how that tied into the eclipse framework.
– Added a bunch of new bugs to bugzilla (8 or so) that I noticed with scheme and the java lite views.
– Did a fair bit of work trying to learn the framework.
– Added a patch to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=288854 to address about half the warnings (includes all of the arraylist ones though).
– Also posted some additional comments wrt. that bug / patch.
- Code sprint:
- To put it bluntly, the eclipse UI needs a lot of work to be beginner programmer friendly. I’m going to try and work on reducing UI clutter, unneeded UI elements (including menus, toolbars, context menus, etc) for the java lite perspective.
- I think customizing the RCP app will take us a step in this direction.
- The Repository. Having to constantly update the project set seems to be a hassle… Are there any of important files that we may need / should be aware of before getting into the thick of development?
- On the weekend I mainly worked on figuring out how to simplify the menus. We made some progress by creating a perspective listener and removing all of the action sets from it.
- I managed to learn enough to actually fix a bug. When a project is created automagically on class creation in an empty workspace, src and bin folders were created. I found out how to turn this switch off so that the src and bin folders are not created.
- I figured out that when you create a patch you need to make sure you don’t have any other patches installed for other unrelated bugs so your patch doesn’t incorporate those changes.
- I would like to work on the menu and toolbar simplification but Cory has claimed that. I’ll let him work on that and chip in later if he needs help.
- I think I am going to take a look at one of 2 things:
- A Java Lite debugging perspective that illuminates concepts like scope, static space, the stack and the heap
- The templates for class creation to distinguish between “programs” (classes with main methods) and “classes” (object oriented programming units)
- There are some menu items and tool bar items that do not appear to be ActionSets. I can’t figure out what they are and how to get rid of them.
- Figure out how to get access to the debugging information and how to create and modify a Java Lite Debug perspective.