UCOSP

Undergraduate Capstone Open Source Projects

Archive for March, 2010

Final deliverables of Data Center Flight Simulator

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/31

List of deliverables:

Posted in FlightSim | 1 Comment »

Status Reports: Mar 29, 2010

Posted by Dwight Deugo on 2010/03/31

Brenda

Status

  • Looked further into Bug 303420: Simplify the user experience when renaming a type from the pop-up menu. This may not actually be a task I can accomplish before the code freeze, taking into account the other things I had also intended to finish before then.

Final Steps

  • Look into Bug 303420: Simplify the user experience when renaming a type from the pop-up menu.
  • Go back to Bug 299342: "New Java Package" option should automatically create a Java Project, to use the NewJavaProjectConstructor to create the default project.
  • Address Bug 303427: Can’t specify a source folder in the Package Wizard.
  • Complete final report.

Roadblocks

  • Last week involved several major deadlines for other courses, but I can now focus this week on finishing up my ongoing goals for Eclipse..

Cory

Status

  • Added some additional comments to Bug 301327 (Creating a src folder when creating new Java project – This bug may not be applicable anymore) and to Bug 302362 (Support for java applets – This bug may also be obsolete now).
  • Overall, I did not have a productive week with regards to IDE4EDU. Still waiting on feedback from Wayne, and at least 50%+ of our bugs require some form of feedback, committing, closing, or additional information. So, I took this opportunity to work on my many other projects and their fast approaching deadlines, with the hope that when Wayne gets back I will be able to dedicate more time towards IDE4EDU.

Final Steps

  • Of the bugs left that aren’t in 1 of the categories above, I think I might take stab at Bug 302360 (importing projects into javalite) or Bug 303584 (Linking javalite explorer with editor). In both cases, there is existing JDT functionality that we want to emulate, so they sound feasible given our remaining week before the code freeze.
  • Unless of course we get feedback from Wayne, in which case I will attempt to address those potential issues, etc.

Roadblocks

  • (I know its a broken record… but) Other classes.
  • Feedback would be appreciated on pending patches. (We are here to help! Let us help!)

Miles

Status

  • Worked on simplifying the menus using the activities extension.
  • Managed to hide all but 2 or 3 things that I wanted hidden.
    – Simplified the toolbar significantly.
    – Really happy with how this turned out. Makes Eclipse much less intimidating.

Final Steps

  • Simplify the menus and toolbar to the list of items I suggested in bug 299848.

Roadblocks

  • Nothing major. Everything is working out pretty well on this bug. I’d like to control the order of the toolbar buttons but I can’t figure out
    how to do that yet. Also, I’d like a couple of the menus to go away when they don’t have any items in them like the Run menu.
  • I’d love to hide the Navigation menu but it seems to be hardwired to the Workbench or something. I think we’d need to create an RCP app to
    completely get rid of it.
  • We need to create a better Run and Debug button but that is too big a job for the time we have left on this project. I’ll add another bug for this.

Posted in Eclipse4Edu, Status | Leave a Comment »

Data Server Flight Simulator meeting minutes March 30th, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/30

Time:

Mar 30th, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Matthew, Sylvain, , Godfrey,  Lenny ,Diane, Matthew

Absence:

Jean

General Update

Michael will send the final package to Matthew tomorrow, please send Michael an email with all the work you want to delivery for tomorrow before 1pm EST, March 31st

Please update to the latest code sometime today, and make sure your portion runs without problem.

Please check in your WMD profiles into the config_files folder under mainline2(check out the current code, add your changes, then check it back in)

Sylvain, Lenny and Godfrey send Matthew a summary(or your journal entry) of what you are responsible for, this is for the marking

Conference information

  • No meeting this week, next meeting is April 8th, Thursday at 1pm EST
  • Conference ID: 4450146
    Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
    Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

Deliverables today:

Goal of Sprint 5

We need to finalize everything, think about this as the final exam, you will hand in your work on March 31st, and you will get graded for the work

That is to say, by March 31st, you should have no un-closed tickets in the ticket tracker

Development Process:

Everyone please check out the code at  https://db2mc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/db2mc/UCOSP/mainline2

Then  make your changes, make sure it runs well on your system, and check it back in

The idea is to make sure we have a well-integrated TE-UCOSP by March 31st

Journey entries could be delivered later than March 31st

Individual tasks:

Diane & Lenny:

  • Put the example xml right in the document instead of referencing a file
  • Talk to Godfrey on how to split the content of two documents
  • A short journey entry on how you worked on your tasks

Sylvan & Jean:

  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Godfrey& Michael:

  • Meet today for another recording
  • (Godfrey)Talk to Lenny on how to split the content of two documents
  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Issues:

  • Please use the category S5 in your tickets.

Important upcoming deadlines:

• Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
◦           Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
• Build a method to allow someone to test a person
◦           Mar. 31st 2010 – Final
• Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
◦           Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

Basie Status Update (March 30, 2010)

Posted by francoisfournier on 2010/03/30

Status:

  • François Fournier : Selenium tests for Mail application (reviewed by AlexLe). Selenium tests for Dashboard application (reviewed by ChrisV). Selenium tests for Admin Manage page. Next step is to continue working on Admin Database.
  • Guillaume Simard : Selenium tests for About application (Reviewed by Nikita). Reviewed AlexLe tests for Timezones. Started tests for tickets application. Next step will be to start documentation on “How to do Selenium Tests” and work on review to commit Selenium tests on reviewBoard.
  • Veronica Wong:  Reviewed documentation questionnaire. Worked on many aspects of the mockup. Continue her work with the mockup. Start reviewing Selenium Tests.
  • Chris Van : Worked on Trac2Basie tool to take in consideration Nikita comments. Review a lot of code (Selenium Dashboard tests, Selenium About page, Radom-Data tool…). Next step is to complete Trac2Basie tool.
  • AlexLe : Finished working on Timezones (developpement and tests). Reviewed Selenium mail tests. Next step is to commit timezone.
  • Nikita Pchelin: Reviewed Trac2Basie tool, developped ticket tagging. Try to figure out what is the problem on 2 functions on Selenium Dashboard tests. Commited random data tool. Next step is to start this ticket: multiple AJAX requests in milestones.
  • Chad Cogar: Worked on attachments. Now associables with tickets and wikipages. Next step is to complete attachments and start working on support for mails.

Posted in Basie, Status | Leave a Comment »

Meeting Minutes: March 26, 2010

Posted by brianxu on 2010/03/26

The meeting minutes can be found here

Posted in MarkUs | Leave a Comment »

mercurial # the end if nigh

Posted by alexandru on 2010/03/26

For some of us on the Mercurial crew next week is the closing chapter of the UCOSP adventure. Tessa, Wendy and Anton from Waterloo will be finishing their term, and with that their contributions to Mercurial as part of the program. That’s not to say they’ll be done with Mercurial for good—the general consensus is that we all had a great time. Paul and myself still have until mid-April to get the remainder of our work submitted.

For the last couple of weeks we’ve all been focusing on bfiles, the big/binary file extension for Mercurial. For the most part, the functionality that’s been added is to automate certain functions so that the user doesn’t have to remember to do so:

Tessa finished up autoput, including tests for the feature. She’s also submitted a few more changes for her globexclude patch.

Wendy worked on autorefresh and autoupdate for bfiles, as well as some final tweaks for her tagmerge extension.

Anton polished up autostatus for bfiles and began work on extended status support.

Paul has been working on bfilesify, an extension to convert a regular Mercurial repository to a bfiles one. This means all large binary files get detected and plugged into bfiles, with the history accurately maintained.

Alexandru worked on supporting HTTP PUT for bfiles, so that users can push their large files to remote repositories via HTTP (currently, only SSH is supported). Additional work went into caseguard to provide a feature that allows users to check an existing repository for filename issues. Alexandru also apologizes for talking in the 3rd person for this section, it was done in the interest of post formatting.

More information available from our weekly Wiki status page and the IRC log.

Posted in Mercurial, Status | Leave a Comment »

Productively Lost

Posted by Greg Wilson on 2010/03/26

From Greg DeKoenigsburg:

We are delighted to announce the release of version 0.8 of our textbook, “Practical Open Source Software Exploration: How to be Productively Lost, the Open Source Way”.

The URL for the wiki release: http://teachingopensource.com/index.php/Textbook_Release_0.8

We are already working on the 0.9 release. The work continues here: http://teachingopensource.com/index.php/Textbook_Roadmap

My heartfelt thanks to my fellow contributors, who helped over the last weeks and months, and especially over the last few days: Karsten Wade, Max Spevack, Chris Tyler, Mel Chua, Jeff Sheltren, and Matt Jadud.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

This week in Pony-Build…

Posted by kshakyaz on 2010/03/26

During our last conference call we talked about where everybody was and what problems we were facing. Here are the notes from the last conversation.

pony-build conference call notes / from, mar15, 2010; updated mar 22, 2010;

Khushboo:

– build-nose is still in a very old master that is incompatible with mine; could you copy just that file over to a clean checkout of my master, add/commit,

push back to github, and let me know where?

– .pony-build cachedir creation?

– mechanize?

http://kshakyaz.wordpress.com/

Max:

– has been “chipping away at small things”.  working on create_cache_dir, pip failure, letc.

– testing timeouts; switch to using signal.alarm?

http://docs.python.org/library/signal.html <– Rose will look at this

Most signal methods not available under windows. :/ (rose)

– will look at adding failure flag to context, and modifying ‘do’ to be context-failure-aware for e.g. pip

failure

http://mlaite.blogspot.com/

Fatima:

– working with mercurial branches; status update?

http://cherkf.wordpress.com/

Jack:

– response? status update?  continuing work with pony-client rework, going off Titus’ latest suggestions, continuing work tomorrow

http://jackcarlson.wordpress.com/

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment »

flight Simulator Meeting minutes March 25, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/25

Time:

Mar 25th, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Matthew, Sylvain, Jean, Godfrey,  Lenny ,Diane

Absence:

General Update

Conference information

  • Tuesday: Skype only
  • Thursday: by phone:
  • Conference ID: 4450146
    Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
    Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

Deliverables today:

Goal of Sprint 5

We need to finalize everything, think about this as the final exam, you will hand in your work on March 31st, and you will get graded for the work

That is to say, by March 31st, you should have no un-closed tickets in the ticket tracker

Remaining Tasks:

  • Everyone please make your changes according to Matthew`s comments
  • Graphical indicator document should be moved to a wiki page
  • Indicator should have a size that people can scale
  • For the lock wait tutorial, we want the WMD be better incorporated with the dials, document should be sent to IBM to address the issue

Development Process:

Matthew – Please create tickets and assign them to individuals on the team

Everyone please check out the code at  https://db2mc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/db2mc/UCOSP/mainline

Then  make your changes, make sure it runs well on your system, and check it back in

The idea is to make sure we have a well-integrated TE-UCOSP by March 31st

Journey entries could be delivered later than March 31st

Individual tasks:

Diane & Lenny:

  • Move the graphical indicator to wikipage
  • Integrate the new dials before Tuesday
  • A short journey entry on how you worked on your tasks

Sylvan & Jean:

  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Godfrey:

  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario
  • send IBM a document on the WMD-dial display issue

Michael:

  • in the particular example, indicate which scenario is being tested”add a new scenario”, describe the process in detail
  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Issues:

  • Please use the category S5 in your tickets.

Important upcoming deadlines:

• Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
• Build a method to allow someone to test a person
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final
• Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

Status Reports: Mar 22, 2010

Posted by Dwight Deugo on 2010/03/24

Brenda

Status

  • Submitted a patch to Bug 301326 to handle the possibility of multiple source folders when creating a new class using the constructor.
  • Reported Bug 306651 and submitted a patch for it that creates a package constructor like those for projects and classes, including tests. It also includes a rework of the Package Creation Wizard to use the constructor, along the lines of the project and class wizards.

Final Steps

  • Look into Bug 303420: Simplify the user experience when renaming a type from the pop-up menu.
  • Go back to Bug 299342: "New Java Package" option should automatically create a Java Project, to use the NewJavaProjectConstructor to create the default project.
  • Address Bug 303427: Can’t specify a source folder in the Package Wizard.
  • Complete final report.

Roadblocks

  • None.

Cory

Status

  • I continued development on the DND implementation as mentioned last week.
  • I completed some more refactoring and added in some rough name conflict / resolution code. There are still bugs to work out unfortunately.
  • I also investigated into just using existing JDT internal DND implementations, and posted my comments towards that on the current DND bug as well.

Next Steps

  • Possibly more work on DND pending feedback on my latest comments towards the DND bug.
  • Otherwise, I will try and find something thats doable within the next week or so, and work on that instead.
  • Complete final report.

Roadblocks

  • Other courses.
  • Waiting on input from Wayne on pending drag and drop changes.

Miles

Status

  • Worked on simplifying the menus using the activities extension.
  • Made a couple of breakthroughs on how to figure out what id to use to hide items.

Final Steps

  • Simplify the menus to the list of items I suggested in bug 299848.
  • If this goes smoothly I will try to apply the lessons learned to simplifying the tool bars.
  • Complete final report.

Roadblocks

  • There are still a few items that won’t go away as they seem to be ‘special’ to the workbench or something. For example ‘File/Revert’ and
    ‘Edit/Delete’ are 2 of them. But there aren’t that many of them and they aren’t too confusing to the user.

Posted in Eclipse4Edu, Status | Leave a Comment »