UCOSP

Undergraduate Capstone Open Source Projects

Archive for the ‘FlightSim’ Category

Coming to a close…

Posted by chancancode on 2010/04/12

Our FlightSim project has come to a close last week, after posting our final delieverable. It’s been a long ride, so I thought I should take my time to write down my experience and what I’ve learned here.

Different from most of you, our project started at IBM’s lab, not at the St. George campus. On our first morning, all of us were invited to their lab at Markham. The lab itself is a really cool place, and the IBMers have treated us well. But to be honest, it’s not exactly the greatest experience. We were basically given a crash course on DB2, then the TE (which is the foundation that our project is building upon), plus some unsuccessful troubleshooting session on how to get both working on a Mac and Linux. Because the amount of information is SO overwhelming, by the end of the day, all I was left with is frustration and question marks. Heck, I don’t really understand the porject that well to begin with, but then it feels like I understand that even less when we leave the labs. As everyone have already started doing some coding in the UT campus, I thought we would be doomed.

On the second day, things start to look a bit better. Matthew gave us a walkthrough of the TE codebase. Overwhelming, still, but we are starting at least starting to see what this is all about. (The lack of projector is really leaving something to be desired… six kids staring at a ultra-high pixel density laptop monitor… not even funny!) We also did, in my opinion, one of the most important things for our project. We set up or communication channel (Skype) and a meeting time (Tues, Thurs). Yes, it’s taking a lot longer than it should, and it could be done more efficiently, but I believe it’s well worth the cost, we’ll talk about this more in a bit.

By the end of the code sprint, most of us still haven’t got of systems set up probably. But then I started to understand more about our project and it seemed quite a bit more approachable.

As we splitted and returned to our home city, the first challenge is to get things working on our end. This marks the first collebration of our team. Within days, the wiki is populated with detailed instructions on how to get things working and what works and what doesn’t. We also helped each other out on Skype. Perhaps it’s the frustration we have in common that really bonded the whole team together, and this helped to smooth things out a lot for the rest of the term. It still takes a few more weeks and a lot of help from IBM (esp Paul, you’re awesome!!) before our systems are truely functioning, but can at least start doing some useful work now.

My first assignment is to investigate the recurssive queries issue. Basically, I need to write a recurrsive query that saturates the CPU. It took me quite a while to figure out what that even means. This is pretty much my first official encounter with the massive DB2 system, so I spent a good amount of time researching and learning how to fight this little monster. After a lot of trial and error, I have sucessfully created a recursive query that does some interesting things. However, the result is quite disappointing. Although it took me days to write that query, it only took the database 5ms to execute it. Matthew suggested that DB2 might be doing some crazy optimization behind the scene for me. Although this attempt turned out fruitless, it was a good experience and allowed me to get myself familiar with the DB2 system.

I was then reassigned to work with Mike on his locklist overflow scenario. His scenario worked beautifully on his machine, so I took up the task to reproduce and record that on my laptop. However, after a night of trial and error, I still cannot reproduce the problem on my own machine. I did some extra research and concluded that the behavior might under this situation is undefined, so it varies wildly across machines. I looked into the nature of the problem and proposed some changes to the scenario (changed from locklist overflow to lock escalation). Although we didn’t end up using this scenario, we did some serious work reseearching that problem, and left some pretty good foundation for other people to pick that up in the future.

To avoid slowing down our progress due to the extra work needed for the lock escalation scenario, I picked up on Sylvian’s lock wait scenario because it’s much simplier to reproduce and understand. We then continued our work based on this senario and ultimately produced a working version of our scenario and attached it in the final delieverable.


What I have learned…

1. Reading other people’s code

By far, I think this is the most valuable experience for me. In the real world, developer documentation is a luxary for lot of open source projects. Having the experience of reading and understanding other people’s code will allow me to contribute to a wide range of open source project in the future.

2. Working within a distributed team

This is probably one of the most important that Greg planned this course for us. I realized how important it is to maintain good communication with the team. What makes our team unique in UCOSP is that we have two weekly meetings, one via conference call, one via Skype chat. Although this could be overwhelming at first, I do find this highly valuable and would recommend other teams in UCOSP to do the same.

3. Asking help

Without the help from IBMers like Matthew and Paul, we wouldn’t have gone this far for this project. I learned to ask help when you need it, and more importantly HOW to ask help. Describing a complicated problem clearly (but overwhelming) could be challenging and this course turned out to be an excellent opportuinty for practicing that.


What I liked…

  • The semi-weekly meetings!
  • IBMers are very helpful… and often respond within ours of us asking a question.
  • The project was challenging, in a good way.

What could be better…

  • The initial project definition was too vague… Because most students joining this team will not have the experience needed for understanding the project, I think it’d be a better idea for provide more guidance and make things more concrete for them at the beginning. Then, allow them to have more flexibility as they learned more about the project. (i.e. provide some clear and rigid goals, instead of allowing us to make our own goals right from the start, because we wouldn’t be able to take advantage of that flexibility at that time anyways)
  • The pieces we are building upon wasn’t quite ready for prime time yet when we first started, which caused a lot of frustration as we spent most of our time debugging and setting things up in the first few weeks. I believe this has mostly been addressed by now, thanks to the new releases and the sandbox server.
  • More documentation would be nice 🙂
  • The code sprint was quite overwhelming for most of us.. maybe we can aim to do/learn a little less at the sprint..?

Again, I would like to thank the IBMers (esp Matthew and Paul) for providing us such an incredible experience!

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

Final deliverables of Data Center Flight Simulator

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/31

List of deliverables:

Posted in FlightSim | 1 Comment »

Data Server Flight Simulator meeting minutes March 30th, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/30

Time:

Mar 30th, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Matthew, Sylvain, , Godfrey,  Lenny ,Diane, Matthew

Absence:

Jean

General Update

Michael will send the final package to Matthew tomorrow, please send Michael an email with all the work you want to delivery for tomorrow before 1pm EST, March 31st

Please update to the latest code sometime today, and make sure your portion runs without problem.

Please check in your WMD profiles into the config_files folder under mainline2(check out the current code, add your changes, then check it back in)

Sylvain, Lenny and Godfrey send Matthew a summary(or your journal entry) of what you are responsible for, this is for the marking

Conference information

  • No meeting this week, next meeting is April 8th, Thursday at 1pm EST
  • Conference ID: 4450146
    Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
    Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

Deliverables today:

Goal of Sprint 5

We need to finalize everything, think about this as the final exam, you will hand in your work on March 31st, and you will get graded for the work

That is to say, by March 31st, you should have no un-closed tickets in the ticket tracker

Development Process:

Everyone please check out the code at  https://db2mc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/db2mc/UCOSP/mainline2

Then  make your changes, make sure it runs well on your system, and check it back in

The idea is to make sure we have a well-integrated TE-UCOSP by March 31st

Journey entries could be delivered later than March 31st

Individual tasks:

Diane & Lenny:

  • Put the example xml right in the document instead of referencing a file
  • Talk to Godfrey on how to split the content of two documents
  • A short journey entry on how you worked on your tasks

Sylvan & Jean:

  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Godfrey& Michael:

  • Meet today for another recording
  • (Godfrey)Talk to Lenny on how to split the content of two documents
  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Issues:

  • Please use the category S5 in your tickets.

Important upcoming deadlines:

• Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
◦           Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
• Build a method to allow someone to test a person
◦           Mar. 31st 2010 – Final
• Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
◦           Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

flight Simulator Meeting minutes March 25, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/25

Time:

Mar 25th, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Matthew, Sylvain, Jean, Godfrey,  Lenny ,Diane

Absence:

General Update

Conference information

  • Tuesday: Skype only
  • Thursday: by phone:
  • Conference ID: 4450146
    Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
    Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

Deliverables today:

Goal of Sprint 5

We need to finalize everything, think about this as the final exam, you will hand in your work on March 31st, and you will get graded for the work

That is to say, by March 31st, you should have no un-closed tickets in the ticket tracker

Remaining Tasks:

  • Everyone please make your changes according to Matthew`s comments
  • Graphical indicator document should be moved to a wiki page
  • Indicator should have a size that people can scale
  • For the lock wait tutorial, we want the WMD be better incorporated with the dials, document should be sent to IBM to address the issue

Development Process:

Matthew – Please create tickets and assign them to individuals on the team

Everyone please check out the code at  https://db2mc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/db2mc/UCOSP/mainline

Then  make your changes, make sure it runs well on your system, and check it back in

The idea is to make sure we have a well-integrated TE-UCOSP by March 31st

Journey entries could be delivered later than March 31st

Individual tasks:

Diane & Lenny:

  • Move the graphical indicator to wikipage
  • Integrate the new dials before Tuesday
  • A short journey entry on how you worked on your tasks

Sylvan & Jean:

  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Godfrey:

  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario
  • send IBM a document on the WMD-dial display issue

Michael:

  • in the particular example, indicate which scenario is being tested”add a new scenario”, describe the process in detail
  • a short journal entry on how you worked on your own scenario

Issues:

  • Please use the category S5 in your tickets.

Important upcoming deadlines:

• Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
• Build a method to allow someone to test a person
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final
• Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

Flight simulator meeting minutes March 23rd, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/23

Time:

Mar 23rd, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Matthew, Sylvain, Jean, Godfrey,  Lenny ,Diane

Absence:

General Comments for tutorials:

  • The page of ugly columns can be shown in a better way in TE, Matthew will provide further information
  • The ad-hoc is now split into 2 panels, this can be displayed in 2 panels instead of split panels
  • The column rendering can be used to show the values on the dial, so dials can display a wider range

General Update

  • Please create your tickets for the on-going tasks
  • The server will have one db2 instance, but everyone should run their own TE

Conference information

  • Tuesday: Skype only
  • Thursday: by phone:
  • Conference ID: 4450146
    Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
    Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

Tasks for Sprint 4:

  • · Deliver IO saturation tutorial with the best we can do by March 18th
  • · Build a panel with dials we have
  • · Stabilize your work
  • · Document the work
  • · Build lesson plan about how to test a person

Individual tasks:

Please note that the tasks mentioned below are all due on March 25th

Diane & Lenny :

Done:

  • have a wiki page setup for the documentation on indicators
  • move the WMD from UCOSP account to a public space
  • put up a wiki page on how to use the server
  • Finished the dial work according to “general comments for tutorials in this minutes”

To-Do

  • Finish the panel work
  • Investigation report on how to work on the dials – a short journal entry

Sylvan & Jean:

Done:

  • Stabilize the work , will need to add one more dial

To-do

  • Fix the ad-hoc problem
  • Investigation report on how you worked on your own scenario– a short journal entry

Godfrey:

–          Blocked by auto-refresh of dial in tutorial

–          Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios, deliver draft March 25

  • Investigation report on how you worked on your own scenario– a short journal entry

Michael:

–          Blocked by auto-refresh of dial in tutorial

–          Build a method to allow someone to test a person, deliverable draft march 25

  • Investigation report on how you worked on your own scenario– a short journal entry

Issues:

  • If you’re unclear about your task, please ask Matthew for clarification
  • Please use the category S4 in your tickets.

Important upcoming deadlines:

• Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
• Build a method to allow someone to test a person
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Walk through video
• Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Rough draft
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

Flight Simulator meeting minutes March 18, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/18

Time:

Mar 18th, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Matthew, Sylvain, Jean, Godfrey,  Lenny ,Diane

Absence:

General Comments for tutorials:

  • The page of ugly columns can be shown in a better way in TE, Matthew will provide further information
  • The ad-hoc is now split into 2 panels, this can be displayed in 2 panels instead of split panels
  • The column rendering can be used to show the values on the dial, so dials can display a wider range

General Update

  • IO Saturation deliverable accepted
  • The server will have one db2 instance, but everyone should run their own TE

Conference information

  • Tuesday: Skype only
  • Thursday: by phone:
  • Conference ID: 4450146
    Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
    Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

Tasks for Sprint 4:

  • · Deliver IO saturation tutorial with the best we can do by March 18th
  • · Build a panel with dials we have
  • · Stabilize your work
  • · Document the work
  • · Build lesson plan about how to test a person

Individual tasks:

Please note that the tasks mentioned below are all due on March 25th

Diane & Lenny :

  • Server setup finished, will add every to the group
  • Will move the WMD from UCOSP account to a public space
  • Will put up a wiki page when the server setup is done
  • Finish the dial work – see “general comments for tutorials in this minutes”
  • Finish the panel work
  • Investigation report on how to work on the dials – a short journal entry

Sylvan & Jean:

  • Stabilize the work – see “general comments for tutorials in this minutes”
  • Investigation report on how you worked on your own scenario– a short journal entry

Godfrey:

–          Stabilize the work, will work with Michael on Friday – see “general comments for tutorials in this minutes”

–          Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios, deliver draft March 25

  • Investigation report on how you worked on your own scenario– a short journal entry

Michael:

–          Stabilize the work, will work with Michael on Friday  – see “general comments for tutorials in this minutes”

–          Build a method to allow someone to test a person, deliverable draft march 25

  • Investigation report on how you worked on your own scenario– a short journal entry

Issues:

  • If you’re unclear about your task, please ask Matthew for clarification
  • Please use the category S4 in your tickets.

Important upcoming deadlines:

• Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
• Build a method to allow someone to test a person
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Walk through video
• Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Rough draft
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

Flight Simulator meeting minutes March 16, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/16

Time:

Mar 16th, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Matthew, Sylvain, Jean,

Absence:

Godfrey,  Lenny ,Diane

General Update

  • IO Saturation deliverable on track, will be delivered by Thursday
  • Please create your tickets for Sprint 4 in the tracker

Conference information

  • Tuesday: Skype only
  • Thursday: by phone:
  • Conference ID: 4450146
    Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
    Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

Tasks for Sprint 4:

  • · Deliver IO saturation tutorial with the best we can do by March 18th
  • · Build a panel with dials we have
  • · Stabilize your work
  • · Document the work
  • · Build lesson plan about how to test a person

Individual tasks:

Matthew:

  • · Fix the refresh drop-down problem in tutorial

Diane:

-WMD setup,  will post a ‘how-to’ document later

-implement the panel of dials, deliver draft March 25

Lenny:

-help Diane with the server setup

-document on how to create the dials, post it on the wiki

Sylvan & Jean:

Keep working on the IO tutorial, delivery Thursday
Godfrey:

–          Stabilize the work

–          Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios, deliver draft March 25

Michael:

–          Stabilize the work

–          Build a method to allow someone to test a person, deliverable draft march 25

Issues:

  • If you’re unclear about your task, please ask Matthew for clarification
  • Please use the category S4 in your tickets!

Important upcoming deadlines:

March 18th, video of IO saturation tutorial
• Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
• Build a method to allow someone to test a person
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Walk through video
• Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Rough draft
◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

Flight Simulator meeting minutes March 11, 2010

Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/11

Time:

Mar 11th, 2010 1pm EST

Attendance

Michael, Lenny, Matthew, Sylvain, Jean, Diane

Absence:

Godfrey

General Update

  • Deliverable partially accepted, we are blocked by the IO saturation scenario, brief problem specification as follows:
    • Variables to monitor are dependent on machines
    • Variables are not feasible to be displayed on a dial
    • Unexpected negative  values appear on variables
  • The plan for now is to keep working on the IO scenario for another week, deliver the video with the best we can do by next Thursday
  • Draft deliverables have been postponed by a week, this will give everyone enough time to stabilize your work, fix everything you don’t feel good about, while working on the next deliverable
  • Please create your tickets for Sprint 4 in the tracker

    Conference information

    • Tuesday: Skype only
    • Thursday: by phone:
    • Conference ID: 4450146
      Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
      Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

    Tasks for Sprint 4:

    • · Deliver IO saturation tutorial with the best we can do by March 18th
    • · Build a panel with dials we have
    • · Stabilize your work
    • · Document the work
    • · Build lesson plan about how to test a person

    Individual tasks:

    Matthew:

    • · Fix the refresh drop-down problem in tutorial

    Diane:

    -WMD setup,  will post a ‘how-to’ document later

    -Get server up and running without problem, the model is ‘one person on the server at a time’

    -implement the panel of dials, deliver draft March 25

    Lenny:

    -help Diane with the server setup

    -document on how to create the dials, post it on the wiki

    Sylvan & Jean:

    Keep working on the IO tutorial, delivery next Thursday
    Godfrey:

    –          Stabilize the work

    –          Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios, deliver draft March 25

    Michael:

    –          Stabilize the work

    –          Build a method to allow someone to test a person, deliverable draft march 25

    Issues:

    • If you’re unclear about your task, please ask Matthew for clarification
    • Please use the category S4 in your tickets!

    Important upcoming deadlines:

    March 18th, video of IO saturation tutorial
    • Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
    ◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
    ◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
    • Build a method to allow someone to test a person
    ◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
    ◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Walk through video
    • Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
    ◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Rough draft
    ◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

    Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

    FlightSim meeting minutes March 9, 2010

    Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/09

    Time:

    Mar 9th, 2010 1pm EST

    Attendance

    Michael, Lenny, Matthew, Sylvain, Godfrey, Jean, Diane

    Absence:

    General Update

    Conference information

    • Tuesday: Skype only
    • Thursday: by phone:
    • Conference ID: 4450146
      Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
      Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

    Goals for Sprint 3:

    The general goal is to create a tutorial, like many others on TE, with our graphical indicator.

    The tutorial will have an entry to open up a page with dials just for that tutorial (in the same page of the tutorial).

    Individual tasks:

    Matthew:

    • · Clarification of next deliverables

    Diane & Lenny:

    -WMD setup will be done by the end of day today

    – Fixed a few bugs here and there
    Godfrey & Michael:

    Jean & Sylvain:

    • Investigated more into the IO problem
    • Will work together tonight to get the tutorials ready

    Issues:

    • Please use the category S3 in your tickets!

    Important upcoming deadlines:

    Mar. 11rd 2010 – Videos of scenario tutorials

    • Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:
    ◦ Mar. 18th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
    ◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Updated videos of scenario tutorials
    • Build a method to allow someone to test a person
    ◦ Mar. 18th 2010 – Draft available for feed back
    ◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Walk through video
    • Build lesson plan and document how to add new scenarios
    ◦ Mar. 18th 2010 – Outline
    ◦ Mar. 25th 2010 – Rough draft
    ◦ Mar. 31st 2010 – Final

    Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »

    FlightSim meeting minutes March 4th, 2010

    Posted by Michael Man on 2010/03/04

    Time:

    Mar 4th, 2010 1pm EST

    Attendance

    Michael, Lenny, Matthew, Sylvain, Godfrey

    Absence:

    Diane, Jean

    General Update

    • The end of the term is April 15th
    • We will need to check the status of WMD setup on the server
    • Tuesday: Skype only
    • Thursday: by phone:
    • Conference ID: 4450146
      Local Dial-in number: 416-343-2610
      Toll-free Dial-in number: 1 866-251-2605

    Goals for Sprint 3:

    The general goal is to create a tutorial, like many others on TE, with our graphical indicator.

    The tutorial will have an entry to open up a page with dials just for that tutorial (in the same page of the tutorial).

    Individual tasks:

    Matthew:

    • Peter is happy with the videos
    • Prototype done for Lenny’s work, due by the end of day today

    Diane & Lenny:

    • Diane Will work with Alan to set up the latest version of WMD on the server

    Note: there are some changes in xml format on the WMD, when a person tests his code on the server, he should make the change accordingly, it is up to you if you want to install the latest WMD or not(you may have to spend another 3 days on that, take the risk if you want)

    • Working on the bar, talking to Matthew on his problem, going to upload the code by the end of day today

    Godfrey & Michael:

    • Michael is merging everyone’s code in the repository and create a release. Expected to be ready by the end of day today
    • Will work together on Friday

    Jean & Sylvain:

    • Continue to polish the scenario

    Issues:

    • Please use the category S3 in your tickets

    Important upcoming deadlines:

    Mar. 13rd 2010 – Videos of scenario tutorials

    •                      Build panels to make it easier to diagnose problems:

    Mar. 23rd 2010 – Draft available for feed back

    •                      Build a method to allow someone to test a person

    Mar. 21st 2010 – Draft available for feed back

    Posted in FlightSim | Leave a Comment »